Pet Insurance Advice
It’s a pet owners worst nightmare, your beloved pet has suddenly become sick, or been involved in an accident and you are facing a vet bill you hadn’t budgeted for. Fortunately more pet owners are realising the advantages of pet insurance.
Why pet health insurance?
Unexpected illness or accident can involve a financial burden. Research tells us that 2 out of 3 pets need veterinary attention each year and 66% of all veterinary visits are due to a sudden illness. Pet health insurance can help contribute to unexpected and routine veterinary expenses by paying 80% – 100% of costs.
Which insurance company offers the best policy?
There are many companies that offer pet insurance, so you do need to do some research before choosing the cover that’s best for you and your pet. Most companies will offer a range of policies including ‘accident only’ and ‘accident and illness’. A few companies also offer some cover for routine items like vaccinations and prescription food.
Some helpful hints on pet insurance:
- Compare company brochures
- Ask for a policy wording booklet
- Call each company for further advice
- Decide on accident only or accident & illness, do you want routine healthcare as well?
- Add up routine healthcare cover per year, does it make the extra monthly premium worthwhile?
- Take into consideration your pets breed and age, does that mean a higher premium?
- Insure pets as early as possible, before any medical conditions develop.
- Keep in mind senior pets do require more frequent medical treatment due to illness, so get in early.
Other Questions to Ask Insurance Companies:
- What excesses are involved?
- Do the excesses change with certain breeds or age?
- Is there an age limit?
- Are both accident and illness covered once my pet becomes a senior?
- Is there a waiting period? When can I make my first claim?
- Please clarify exclusions for my pets breed, or age, can I have a written copy?
- When does a medical complaint stop being covered, due to being deemed “chronic” or ongoing?
- What would happen if I wanted to cancel my pet’s insurance?
Unfortunately we can not choose one company over another as it depends on each individual’s lifestyle however here is a copy of the two page Insurance Comparison Forms we have available: